The 3.5L EcoBoost® combines turbocharging and direct injection. It generates best-in-class15 365 V6 horsepower plus 350 lb.-ft. of torque.68 This EcoBoost is standard in the Explorer Sport and Platinum, which also feature standard Intelligent 4WD with the Terrain Management System™ plus Hill Descent Control™.
Come snow, gravel, sand or grass, you’ll be ready. The available Terrain Management System™ has four settings for you to choose from depending on the road or path you travel.
Building on AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™, the standard trailer sway control selectively brakes and adjusts engine power to maintain trailer control.39 The result is stability and control, even when towing large loads. When properly equipped, the Explorer can tow up to 5,000 lbs. The Class II Trailer Tow Package is optional with the 2.3L EcoBoost® engine. The Class III Trailer Tow Package is available for the 3.5L Ti-VCT engine, and comes standard with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Either the Class II or III Trailer Tow Package is needed for towing.
Hill start assist and Hill Descent Control help keep your vehicle’s power and capability under control, particularly when you’re towing. When you’re stopped on an incline, standard hill start assist automatically works with the anti-lock brakes to hold the vehicle in place for up to two seconds while you move your foot from the brake to the accelerator. On 4WD models, you can activate standard Hill Descent Control so the braking system automatically engages as needed to help keep you in control while descending a steep grade.10
The Explorer can carry up to seven passengers and has available multicontour front seats with Active Motion®.
Personalize your comfort level, and your front-seat passenger’s, with individualized temperature settings, courtesy of the available dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control.
Explorer delivers when you need configurable cargo space. With the second- and third-row seats in the upright position, you have maximum seating plus 21 cubic feet of cargo space. With just the third-row seats folded, there is 43.9 cubic feet of total storage capacity. And with both the second- and third-row seats folded flat, Explorer provides up to 81.7 cubic feet of cargo space. What’s more, there’s a storage area under the floor for smaller items. For cargo space on demand, there is the available PowerFold® third-row seat and the 50/50 split-folding seat that folds flat at the touch of a button.
SYNC® 3 is our easy-to-use, responsive voice-activated technology. Discover the system’s quick reactions to your conversational voice commands. Experience the smartphone-like touchscreen with impressive responsiveness. You’ll also find a sleek user-friendly interface to help you connect to and control your smartphone. Locate your favorite restaurants with simple destination entry via the optional navigation. SYNC 3 is fast, smart and easy to use.27
Bumper to Bumper: 3-Years/36,000 Miles • Powertrain: 5-Years/60,000 Miles • Corrosion: 5-Years/Unlimted Miles • Hybrid/Electric Drivetrain Components: 8-Years/100,000 Miles • Roadside Assistance: 5-Years/60,000 Miles
Standard AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC® ) uses two gyroscopic sensors to monitor yaw and roll rates. This allows AdvanceTrac with RSC to help you maintain control whenever it detects wheelslip, understeer, oversteer or roll motion. It also helps maintain control in various road conditions such as ice, gravel or rain. AdvanceTrac with RSC also features Curve Control, which will slow the vehicle down when it senses that it’s going too fast for a particular curve.39
Curve Control will slow you down as much as 10 mph in approximately one second when it senses that you’re going too fast for a particular curve. Employing throttle reduction and four-wheel braking, it’s always active in helping you maintain control around curves. Also, it functions on dry or wet pavement and is particularly useful when you’re entering or exiting freeway off- or on-ramps too fast. Curve Control, standard on all Explorer models, is an enhancement to AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™.39
10. Driver Assist Features (BLIS, cross traffic alert, collision warning, active park assist, adaptive cruise control, and rear view camera) are supplemental and do not replace the driver's attention, judgment and need to control the vehicle.
15. Classes are: Compact Cars (Fiesta); Small Sedans and Hatchbacks (Focus); Midsize Sedans (Fusion); Full-Size Sedans (Taurus); RWD Sports Cars (Mustang); Small Utilities (Escape); Midsize Utilities (Edge); Large Utilities (Flex and Explorer); Extended Utilities (Expedition); Full-Size Pickups under 8,500 lbs. GVWR, Non-Hybrid (F-150); Full-Size Pickups over 8,500 lbs. GVWR (Super Duty).
27. SYNC is an optional feature. Features/functionality vary by vehicle/model. Driving while distracted can result in loss of vehicle control. Only use SYNC/MyFord Touch/other devices, even with voice commands, when it is safe to do so. Some features may be locked out while the vehicle is in gear. Not all features are compatible with all phones. Message and data rates may apply. Optional Navigation system map updates cannot be received via wi-fi and require a separate update.
39. Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics. It's always possible to lose control of a vehicle due to inappropriate driver input for the conditions.
68. Achieved with premium fuel.